Specialist in New Zealand property and commercial law.
John joined Lovegroves in March 2017. Prior to that, John was a partner at Chapman Tripp Sheffield Young, then he co-founded the law firm Ellis Gould where he was a partner for thirty years.
John specialises in negotiating, drafting and advising on acquisition and disposition of properties. His 40-plus years of experience are filled with successes in acting for a number of national and international chains.
- Call: 09 575 2588
- Mobile: 021 965282
He is also an experienced professional trustee and key adviser to high net worth clients in respect of their land and business acquisitions, and ongoing investment of Trust assets and business trading entities.
Areas of Expertise
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on sale and purchase contracts
- Construction contracts (including design and build) and leases, acquisition, development, financing and disposal of commercial, retail and industrial properties
- Commercial contracts including joint ventures, partnership and franchise agreements
- Property contracts, including construction, leases and easements
- Due diligence on proposed investments, interpretation and enforcement of sale and purchase contracts and leases, landlord and tenant disputes
- Advice to clients and trustees on business and land acquisitions and ongoing investment of Trust assets
- Shareholder agreements and disputes / buy outs working closely when appropriate with experienced litigation barristers to achieve successful outcomes
- Ongoing estate planning, trust structuring and administration of estates and trusts
Examples of Work
Supermarket Network Development
Has acted for over 30 years for major supermarket groups (currently Foodstuffs) in the acquisition of properties, successful implementation of strategy in development supermarket networks, negotiating leases and all related transactions and issues. John has also been key legal adviser in the establishment of shopping centres.
Lead legal advisor to an Australian owned company in negotiating leases for numerous sites and meeting strictly defined timelines. John led the legal team to ensure that this was achieved.
Foodstuffs North Island Limited
Provides Foodstuffs with strategic advice on development of supermarket sites, associated retail and all issues relating to the development of greenfield sites. John's particular strengths are providing strategic advice on acquisition of sites and successfully negotiating the acquisition contracts.
AMP Property Portfolio (APP)
Acted for AMP Property Funds for several years, providing strategic advice on the acquisition, development and disposal of commercial, retail, industrial and hotel properties.
Acts for private clients in the acquisition and development of greenfield sites, including addressing all issues in developing a township, shopping centre, industrial and commercial projects, and subdivision aspects.
Key adviser to high net worth clients in respect of a wide range of substantial successful businesses.